Thursday, September 6, 2012

What to Do when a Child Misses the School Age Cut Off

I am one of the parents whose child misses the school age cut off for starting kindergarten in our local school district. While there is a debate whether starting school as one of the oldest children is beneficial, which I discuss in the article "Missing the School Age Cut Off: Good or Bad?, I am considering alternatives that may help my child get the school or preschool experience, ifI believe my child is ready to catch the school bus, based on her physical, social and psychological aptitudes.

Schools with later deadlines: Several local private schools have cutoff dates that are later than that of the public school program.
Montessori schools: Many Montessori schools have toddler programs for children who are too young for nursery class. Since the Montessori philosophy allows for mixed age classes, children can attend the toddler program initially and then transition to the primary level, which allows children aged 3-nearly 6 to be in the same class.
Daycares: Most daycares accept students on a rolling or monthly basis. Several local daycares incorporate a curriculum that is likely not markedly different from an accredited preschool curriculum.
Homeschooling: Homeschooling young children, especially in a small group, could bring the benefits of social interaction and structured learning in an environment that is familiar to the children.
Drop-off and enrichment programs: My town has several drop off programs specifically designed for preschool readiness. Most programs run 1.5-2 .5 hours for 8-16 weeks, and they are available for one or more days a week. I can supplement drop-off programs with library story-time, sports, and art and craft classes.
Schools in other public school districts: Finally, if I am convinced of the benefits of my child starting kindergarten sooner rather than later, I would not rule out moving to another school district that has a later age cut off, say December 31. Although she would be the youngest quartile of her class, she will likely not be the youngest.
Perhaps, if I find it appropriate for my child to start school when the district deems it right, I will just follow along. Otherwise, my alternative strategies will come in handy for helping my child. However, as a mother, my goal right now is for my child to enjoy her childhood first, and then focus on programs to keep her stimulated and challenged.

Related topics: Missing the School Age Cut Off: Good or Bad?
More from this contributor: Ease Your Child's Transition to Preschool
Picking a Preschool for Our Child
Everyday Toiletries and Medicine Cabinet Essentials for Newborn Babies

No comments:

Post a Comment